Thomas Gann– Lincoln County Veterans’ Service Center
311 North Vine Suite #2
North Platte, NE 69101

We are located in the same building as the DMV office, between the NP Library and the Sherriff’s Office.

(308) 534-4350 Ext. 4267
308-535-3508 (f)

In order to best serve our veterans, we will only do consultation with the Veterans’ Service Officer, by appointment only, to give you the attention that you deserve.

9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.           (Closed from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm for lunch)
Monday – Thursday

Available only by phone, on Fridays 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Mission Statement – The County Veterans’ Service Office was created by state statute to assist veterans and their dependents in times of need, or to file for all County, State or Federal benefits earned by virtue of the military veteran’s service to a grateful Nation and the State of Nebraska. The Veterans’ Service Officer serves under the direction of the Veterans’ Service Committee appointed by the Board of Commissioners. Veterans’ Service is accomplished by:

  • Being sensitive and helpful to veterans/dependents in their time of need.
  • Providing assistance and counseling to veterans and their families.
  • Initiating and completing claims to be submitted to the VA Regional Office, Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs, or other appropriate agencies with accuracy and professionalism.
  • Maintaining the highest level of training and education to best serve veterans.
  • Serving as a trusted and respected partner in collaboration with other agencies when assisting veterans.

State Benefits

  •  Nebraska Veterans’ Aid Fund (NVA)
  • Waiver of Tuition
  • Discharges
  • Grave Registration
  •  Veterans Homes

Nebraska Veterans’ Aid Fund (NVA)

This is a temporary emergency aid fund that assists veterans, their spouses, and dependents when unforeseen emergencies occur and other resources are not immediately available. For NVA purposes, a veteran is any person who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States who received an Honorable Discharge, or its equivalent. Application for the fund must be made through the County Service Officer or Post Service Officer of any recognized veterans’ organization in the county nearest the applicant’s place of residence and submitted to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Tuition Waiver

Tuition may be waived by the University of Nebraska, state colleges, and technical community colleges on behalf of any child, spouse, widower, or widow, resident of the State of Nebraska, whose parent was a member of the Armed Forces of the U.S. and who died of a service- connected disability in W.W.I as defined in State Statute 80-40.101, or who died of a service-connected disability on December 7, 1941, or subsequently until such future date as the Legislature shall determine, or who died subsequent to his discharge as a result of injury or illness sustained while a member of the Armed Forces which may of may not have resulted in total disability. Such tuition shall be similarly waived on behalf of any child whose father or mother is totally disabled or classified MIA or POW after August 4, 1964. To qualify, the applicant must be enrolled at the college and be paying resident tuition rates. This is done through the Nebraska Dept of Veteran Affairs at 402-471-2458.


The Department has approximately 700,000 discharges on microfilm. If a veteran entered from and returned to Nebraska upon separation from the military, a copy of the discharge may be on file. Certified copies are available at no charge to the veteran.

Grave Registration

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs shall preserve, by counties, a permanent registry of the graves of all persons who served in the Armed Forces in time of war or whose mortal remains rest in Nebraska. Information concerning the registry can be obtained from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or a County Service Officer.

Nebraska Veterans’ Homes

Nebraska has four veterans homes located at Kearney, Norfolk, Bellevue, and Scottsbluff. The objective of these homes is to provide domiciliary and nursing home care and subsistence to active duty veterans provided that the veteran meets at least a two year residency requirement, and has become disabled due to service, old age, or other wise to an extent that it would prevent such applicant from earning a livelihood. Entitlement for admission extends to the spouse of any such person admitted to one of the homes who has attained the age of fifty years and married to the such member for at least two years before his or her entrance into the home, also, to the surviving spouses and parents of eligible servicemen and women who died while on active duty or who have since died of a service-connected disability as determined by the VA and who have obtained the age of fifty and meet residency requirement of two years in the state. (Ref: State Statute 80-316) Applications are made through the County Veterans Service Officer in the county in which the applicant resides. Completed applications are then submitted to the director of Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Secretary for the Veterans’ Homes Board, for approval of legal eligibility and assessment of any maintenance fees and referral to the Veterans Homes for medical eligibility and further processing. All applications are forwarded to the Veterans’ Homes Board for final action regarding admission. For more information on the Veterans Homes, go to

Who To Contact For More Info:

For questions or additional information on any issue concerning veterans, contact: Lincoln County Veterans Office

County Veterans’ Aid Fund (CVA)

The CVA fund is a temporary emergency fund to assist veterans, their spouses, and dependents when there is an unforeseen emergency and there are no other resources available. A veteran is any person who served on active duty, received an Honorable Discharge, and served during a recognized period of conflict. Applicants may request assistance with Shelter, food and Utilities. The applicant must apply through the County Service Officer in the county of the applicant’s residence and meet the requirements of the County Veterans’ Services Committee. Applicants are required to meet residency requirements and must show a financial need.

Flag Holders-

Flag holders are available to the family of any deceased Veteran, buried in Lincoln County, who served during “war time” and received an Honorable Discharge. One marker is provided to the family at no cost. There are markers available for all war eras. Contact the County Service Officer for additional information on how to obtain one, or stop by the office during normal business hours.


Assists in the application process for all State Veterans’ Benefits, to include:

1.    Nebraska Veterans’ Aid Fund (NVA)

2.    Discharges

3.    Nebraska Veterans Homes

And all Federal Veterans’ Benefits, to include:

1.    Disability Compensation

2.    Pension

3.    Vocational Rehabilitation

4.    Burial Benefits

5.    Home Loan Guaranties – We can supply the app for certificate of eligibility, but loans are done through the banks

6.    Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

7.  Death Pension

8.  Apply for VA Healthcare

9.  Correction of Military Records

10.  Finding/Replacing Military Records

11.  Board Of Veterans’ Appeals

12.  U.S. Court of Veterans’ Appeals

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is your office at?

Our office is at 311 North Vine Suite #2. Our telephone number is (308) 534-4350 Ext 4267 or 4268. Our office hours are weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

How can I obtain a copy of my discharge papers?

Discharges are kept on file by the Veterans Service Center, the County Clerks Office, the State office of the Department of Veterans Affairs and at the Records Center in St. Louis, MO. The County Service Officer will assist in locating the document that is most readily obtainable. You may also download the file SF180.pdf, by going to: Records Services for the Public and Government Agencies. Then complete the form and mail it directly to St. Louis. A certified copy of your discharge will be mailed back to you within approximately 6-8 weeks.

Can I go to school on my GI Bill education benefit?

The GI Bill education benefit must be used within fifteen years of your discharge. The veteran must also have completed the first full enlistment. Actual benefits will vary depending on the specific service dates. We recommend that you contact us directly or contact the VA Education office in St. Louis by calling 1-800-442-4551.

How can I get a VA Home Loan?

There is no actual VA Home Loan. The VA offers a Home Loan Guaranty Certificate. There are two ways of obtaining a certificate. Complete VA Form 26-1880 and personally deliver it to the VA Regional Office at 48th and Old Chenney in Lincoln, or complete the form and mail it to the VA Office in St. Paul, Minnesota. The form is available from your County Veterans Service office or you may download the Home Loan form. If all you need is the eligibility form. For additional assistance, contact the Veterans Service Center.

Does the VA offer a Small Business Loan to veterans?

The VA Small Business Loan program no longer exists. The Small Business Administration will assist veterans in obtaining small business loans. You may contact the Small business administration at; 1-800-827-5722.

Is there financial assistance available to veterans?

Yes, there are two sources of financial assistance available to veterans in Nebraska. The County Veterans Aid Fund is managed and controlled by the Veterans Service Office. Qualification requirements and application procedures will vary. There is also the Nebraska Veterans Aid Fund which is controlled by the Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs. An application is submitted through the County Veterans Service Officer or the Post Service Officer.

How do I apply for admission to the Veterans Home?

There are four Veterans Homes in Nebraska; Omaha, Kearney, Norfolk and Scottsbluff. To qualify for admission, a veteran must have an honorable discharge, service during a recognized period of conflict, and at least two years of residency within the state of Nebraska. The application process includes submission of current medical information and current financial information. The applicant is required to meet a co-payment which is based upon assets and income. Application forms are available from the County Veterans Service Officer.

I need help with payment of my rent, utilities and food, is there anything your office can do?

The Nebraska Veterans’ Aid Fund (NVA) can at times help with certain items for a Lincoln County veteran or their dependents if, due to an unforeseen emergency and loss of income (that is not the result of a veteran’s improper actions) there is a financial need. It is a short term assistance source. The assistance must be for food, utilities, shelter, clothing, medical or surgical expenses. Only current basic bills can be considered, past due bills cannot be considered. Certain factors and rules determine just what expenses this fund can help with, but we can discuss specifics when you come in to complete the application. We do not guarantee assistance. Our office completes an application with the applicant, which lists their monthly combined household income from all sources against expenses and lists assets and net worth. If available assets are adequate to meet the family’s needs, the NVA fund will allow no help. The application states the unforeseen emergency and the date it began. We then submit the application, proof of legal Nebraska residency*, and honorable discharge documents, to the Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs for consideration. Once the State has received the application, it takes about 1-2 weeks for an answer. Please bring the following highlighted items, as your situation warrants, to our office when you come in to complete the application;

(1) The veteran’s active duty honorable discharge (DD-214 is REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTS), (2) a rental agreement or mortgage payment book if applying for assistance with shelter, (3) utility bills if applying for help with utilities, (4) your marriage certificate, if married and (5) a list of incoming income for the last six months and (6) current outgoing expenses, (7) medical proof of treatment or disability, (8) a statement from employer on reason for reduction of hours/termination/layoff, (9) Dep. of Labor unemployment benefits determination (10) death certificate if the veteran is deceased.

* Nebraska legal residency proof is required.

I cannot find my DD 214, Discharge from Service, where can I go to get it?

If Discharge was recorded at the Lincoln County Clerk’s Office, the discharge can be obtained from their office. If the Veteran entered the service and returned to Nebraska we can contact the State of Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs for the Discharge. If none of the above work, an application must be made to the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, Mo. Visit our office and we can order a replacement. Our office also has many discharges on record, if the veteran has worked with us in the past. We will do our best to assist you in finding the right avenue when searching for the records.

I need help with my medications; does the VA have a Medical Card?

No, however, there is medical treatment available through the VA Medical Center. Veterans must be enrolled in the VA Health Administration. Applications are available in our office or can be printed out online. (VA Form 10-10 EZ)

I am interested in purchasing a home under the GI Home Loan, what do I need to do?

If you have your Certificate of Eligibility you need to take this to a bank, mortgage company or Loan Agency to start the process. If you do not have your Certificate of Eligibility you need to contact our office for the application to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility. Copy of the DD 214, Separation Paper must accompany the application.

I want to file a claim for Service Connected Compensation. What do I do?

You will need to file for benefits. You will need to bring in your Original or Certified Copy DD 214, Separation Paper, all available medical information for any treatment received while in Service and after service. For any eligible Dependents you will also need Marriage, Divorces, and/or Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers.

My father/mother is now a patient in the nursing home. Medicaid says I have to apply for VA Pension, what do I do?

You will need to file an application for VA Pension. You will need to bring in Original or Certified Copy of DD 214, Separation Paper, all monthly income received from all sources, amount of Assets, Marriages, Divorces, Death Certificates, Social Security Numbers of Veteran and Dependents.